Please follow these steps in order to properly set up your Expat911 Application and Services for your smartphone. At the bottom of this step by step guide, you will also find links to tutorial videos should you need any assistance with this guide. The videos show every one of these steps visually which may help you if you come across any issues. We can also set up the account for you if you are having trouble. This way you do not have to worry about any of the steps and one of our customer service reps will take care of it all over the phone with you. The email address to request a call back for assistance is at the bottom of this guide.
2. Install the Application which will create a logo for Expat911 on your smartphone home page.
3. Click the logo for Expat911 on homepage to open the app.
4. Click on Sign Up link on App’s Log In page when App opens.
5. Enter First Name, Last Name, Email and Phone Number. Then click Next.
6. Enter Date of Birth, Street and Number, Town, Colonia, State, Zip Code and Password. Then Click on Sign Up button to finish the registration within the App.
7. Check your email that you used for registration. You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org which has an activation link. The email should arrive within 5 minutes. If you do not find it by then, please check your spam or junk mail folder. Click activation link within email to receive a notification that your email has been successfully activated.
8. Now you will have to complete the payment process on our secured website at www.expat911.mx.
9. Visit this link Expat911. Use the same email address and password to log in that you used when registering your account on the app.
10. Now click on Orders which is shown on the left side of the page. Then click on the Go Shop button. Now choose Add To Cart which is right under the $ 99.00 subscription for our services. Now please click View Cart. (While in view cart mode you will see a section on the bottom left to add a discount code. If you have one for a spouse that is getting the additional couples plan you can enter the code here and then click apply) Then you will click on Proceed to Checkout.
11. Please enter your billing information on the next page.
12. Read the Terms and Conditions at the bottom and tick the box that says I have read and accept these terms and conditions.
13. Now click Continue to Payment. We use Stripe to process our payments securely for our clients. We found it to be better than Paypal because you do not have to have an account with them. You will just enter your credit card information and click submit. There will be a 20 second pause before loading of the next page once your payment has been accepted. This is because the system is updating and automatically activating your subscription. Once the system has completed processing and activating your account, a page will open with links to download the app. This means that you are all set for the next step.
14. Now that the payment has been processed, please open the app and log into the app with your information that you used to create the account. You may receive a pop up at this point which says “Allow Expat911 to access this devices location?” Please click allow as this is very important for when you report your emergencies. Your location is only sent to us when you send an alert. We cannot see your location at any other time.
15. Now you will finish your profile so that we have all of the information necessary on file when reporting your emergency. Click on the top left corner of the app (3 small lines which is the menu button) to open up the menu. Now click on My Profile. Now click on the top right corner of the page (symbol looks like a pen writing) to edit your profile. Please fill out any information that is blank such as Medical Information and Emergency Contacts. To add more than one contact please click the red + sign on the right side of the first contact to open more contacts to fill out. The first contact is US/Canada and so there is no need to place 001 in front of the number. The next two contacts are Mexico numbers and so please only enter the 10 digit numbers as we know they are for Mexico already. When finished, please click Save Changes (for Android) or Update (for iPhones) at the bottom. Now review all of the information in your profile to be sure that all is correct.
Congratulations!!! You have completed the steps for registering your account properly. At this point we will need you to send a test chat and alert. Until we have confirmed that your phone is set up by our customer service team, you will not be added to the main network. Our customer service hours are from 9 AM to 8 PM PST and 6 days a week from Thursday to Tuesday. Wednesday being the only day that the customer service side is not available. Our emergency operators are 24/7 and 365 days a year, but they do not handle the test chat and test alerts. So please send the word “test” in the chat box, and then click Police and send as an alert during the hours mentioned above. We will answer you back immediately to confirm that you have been set up properly. Then we will add you to the main network. This means that all further chats and alerts will go directly to our emergency operators. So after the test has been confirmed, please only use those features for real emergencies. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
If you have any issues during this set up, please use the links below to see a step by step video tutorial to go along with this guide.
One of the most overlooked services that Expat911 provides is that we will also reach out to your contacts after we have reported your emergency. Our users sign up for our application to feel secure knowing that they can report their emergency to 911 even if they do not speak Spanish. However, we also reach out to your contacts to let them know about your emergency as well. This is another important part of our service to make sure that our users feel comfortable knowing that someone will reach out to their contacts and let them know about their situation.
We added this featured because many of our fellow Expats voiced this concern to us. They realized that if they were ever rushed to the hospital for any reason, their family and loved ones would not even know about the situation they were in. This is why we have a contact section in your profile that you create on our application. We allow one contact from the US/Canada and up to 3 contacts here in Mexico. This way we can reach out to them once your emergency has been reported.
We recommend that your US/Canada contact is a family member who can then reach out to the rest of your family back home. Your local contacts can be neighbors, friends, family or even local doctors. Many of our users like to use their local doctor as a contact because they are comfortable with an English spoken doctor that they usually see during their medical check up’s. This person is already familiar with your medical history and can help you translate at the hospital or even at your house if they can arrive before the emergency responders. We have also found that a neighbor can sometimes respond quicker than the emergency responders. They may be able to come and help you out while you are awaiting the emergency responders to arrive.
This part of the application is just as important to our users as the reporting of emergencies. It gives our users the peace of mind knowing that the people important to them will be made aware of their situation. So please choose wisely when deciding who the best contacts would be when creating your profile with us.
The application was created due to the lack of English speaking 911 operators here in Mexico. We heard from many Expats living here in Mexico that they were unable to report emergency situations due to the language barrier. 911 services in Mexico vary from state to state.
Some of the states have a part time operator who speaks English, but that operator is only available at specific times. There are other states that do not have any English spoken operators. This is a big problem if you are facing a life threatening situation and you are unable to explain what type of emergency responder you need.
Most of the Expats living in Mexico have never thought about this issue. Unfortunately, they only find out about this when it may already be too late. It’s important to take all precautions ensuring your protection before these situations arise. We hope that you never have to use our application, but if you do it’s important to know that we will be there for you 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. This insurance will allow you to feel at ease knowing that you are protected at all times and all places during your time in Mexico. The application has built in GPS technology which allows you to report your emergency to us at home or on the road.
The application is very simple to use.
There are 3 emergency buttons that you can push during your emergency. The 3 options are for Police, Ambulance or Fire. When you click which emergency situation you’re having, you can then add a message as well. This message and alert will be received by our team. We will call you immediately to ask for any additional details. Then we will call 911 on your behalf and report this emergency. Once we have reported the emergency, we will call you back to let you know that help is on the way. We will then ask if you wish for us to reach out to your contacts. We will then contact your family back home in the US/Canada if you confirmed. We will also call any neighbors, family, loved ones and even local doctors that you have in your predetermined contacts to let them know about your situation.
We mentioned before that we use GPS technology in the application. This is extremely important because we can send emergency responders to your location even when the situation is not in your home. If you are in a car accident this is key as we can see the location and use this during the reporting to 911. Would you be able to explain your locations to Mexico’s 911 services if you were not at home? Mexico’s 911 does not have GPS capabilities, and so if you called 911 they would not know where you are. You would have to be able to explain where you are and know the streets to give them the address. We can also cover you while you are traveling to other cities within Mexico, or even while you are out just running errands.
Below is a guide to help you get set up:
It will take around 15 minutes, but once done you will be covered for life.